Friday, August 5, 2011

The Proverbs 31 Woman - Part 7


The Proverbs 31 woman is RESPECTFUL TO HER HUSBAND.

v. 21-23 says
She is not afraid of the snow for her household,
for all her household are clothed with scarlet.
She makes coverings for herself;
Her clothing is fine linen and purple.
Her husband is known in the gates,
when he sits among the elders of the land.

This woman is obviously a Girl Scout.  She is prepared.  She is planning for the future! She is NOT sitting around in her houserobe and curlers all day long.  She makes herself presentable and her family presentable.  She doesn’t do it in a way that makes people look at her, however.  She does it in a way that makes people look at her husband.  She is so supportive of him, that they think HE has it all together.  I think this is an important aspect to consider for those of us who are married.

Sometimes, I want to make a point or win an argument in public, but I need to consider, how will this make my husband look?  At times, I have had to hold back what I want to say until later, when we are alone and say, “Now, about what you were talking about, did you mean this?”  I can ask him in a nice way to communicate his feelings or ideas to me without embarrassing him in public or making him look like he doesn’t know what he is talking about.  This goes back to “being trustworthy.”  He should be able trust me to guard his reputation and his ego in public.

I wish I was more trustworthy in this area.  Many times I try to turn things off as a joke and end up not edifying my husband, but tearing him down in little ways.  Good resources for reminding me (besides the Bible) are:  Love and Respect by Emerson Eggerichs and The Excellent Wife by Martha Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment